Friday, January 21, 2011

Time for a new post! So I just received a book from a friend about five different methods to do a qualitative study. This particular friend is going to Uganda to study how sports are helping Ugandan orphans to create an identity within their schools. I thought I was going to study the way that host families helped Tibetan's to assimilate into society...but now it appears that there may be too many variables. This would complicate my process, and lead to inconclusive data :(   So here's what both my friend, and I, need to figure out, how do you do a qualitative study about one variable? I hope this book helps.

I also was talking to Professor Dave Shuler (I think that's how you spell his name), and the man is a valt of knowledge. I love it! He should me that personal connections would be vital to my project. There is a man living up in Provo Canyon who apparently knows quite a bit about the McLeod area, and P. Shuler also remembered a paper from nearly six years ago that a student had written about Tibetan refugees. I think the BYU connections are going to be a huge help!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, variables can be sticky. Unfortunately there is not a lot you can do to make sure you totally separate it out. That happens when you are working with people instead of chemicals in a lab, but that does not make it a bad thing! Maybe the book will help with some questions though, you will have to keep us posted.

    Also, way to go talking with Professor Shuler. Is he your faculty mentor? We do have some great resources on campus. Good job hunting them down!

    ReplyDelete