Friday, January 7, 2011

Dream Big

I've been wondering lately...so brace yourself. What do people in other countries dream about? I dream about getting good grades, or competing well, or hanging out with the fam. What about those kids who are poor, or displaced? Does it mean anything when someone tells them to dream big? Do Tibetan kids in India dream of going home? Maybe impoverished kids in Africa dream that their mom didn't have AIDS anymore. It's kind of a sobering thought, and I'm sorry if it's a downer thought, but I was musing. What does it really mean to dream big?

2 comments:

  1. My sister used to listen to this Ryan Shupe CD when driving around, and there was a song "Dream Big." My niece always heard it as "String Bean" instead, and that's how she sang along. This post made me think about that :)

    The phrase "dream big" doesn't have a lot of specific meaning to me, but it's always interesting, I think, to imagine what other people are thinking about and hoping for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting thoughts. I think this is an especially tricky question posed in a place like America where we are all about the "big dream." I am not sure it is fair to say that our idea of a good big dream is better than someone in another context, but yeah when it comes to those fundamental development questions you can't help but wonder. I guess empowering people to dream in any culture is important. I just wish we all had the same opportunities to make it happen.

    ReplyDelete