Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Source Documents

Okay, source documents take an amazing amount of time! I finished my two and then I wanted to pack it in for the day, but it was only two in the afternoon. Oh well. I did learn quite a bit from the experience, but now I have more questions. The more I prepare for this field study, the more complicated it gets (anybody else feeling that?).

Anywho, I'm going to study the effect of host families on refugee assimilation, however I'm not sure how you show causation. There was one paper I read where the author had done tons of research in order to better understand how to help refugees who are coming into a new environment. This guy had bucket loads of info on the many variables that contributed to the experience: age, gender, education, marital status, ethnicity, networking, sponsorship, etc. He had so many different variables! If I choose one variable, such as host families, than how do I show that this variable is the difference maker?

I'm thinking that I will have to make my sample group extremely similar. They will all have to be the same age range, gender, marital status, you get the picture. Or could I have two separate sample groups? For example, one group could be male, married, middle-aged, etc and the other group could be female, single, early-20's. I'm new at this research action...so any ideas are welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment