Monday, July 25, 2011

Snapshot

When I first met my Ama-la (my host mom) she grabbed my hand, took one of my bags, and laughed while telling me that she was my new step-mom. I knew then that this woman and I were going to have a grand 'ol time, but I couldn't have guessed how much I would come to love my little Tibetan family. Now one of their old students has been staying for the past 2-3 weeks and the four of us (Ama-la, Pa-la, Emily, and I) have had some great conversations. Here's a small snapshot...    

When asked why Pa-la had come home late one night
Ama-la: "Oh Pa-la was out dancing with his new girlfriend."
Pa-la: "Yes, she's 75."

In response to the lights going out in the middle of your shower, or the water running dry
Ama-la: "This is India!"

In reference to Matt and Julia's two years of marriage vs Ama-la and Pa-la's 26 years of marriage
Ama-la: "Only two years, oh still peak season. Off season for me and Pa-la."

Pa-la talking about his decision to marry Ama-la
"I knew this is right choice for me"
"No tension. This is the life" (said while he's reclining on his bed with his hands relaxed behind his head)

Pa-la's advice to Emily and I after explaining that Ama-la and Pa-la had written letters to each other for 8 years before getting married
"To take time is good. To hurry is danger. My daughters no rush."

Yes, we have a good time with our former paratrooper parents. They just get cooler and funnier the longer you hang around.

2 comments:

  1. I'm really wanting to talk to Pema now. My gosh, what a cool family you have. Thank you for sharing them with us from time to time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Pema-la so much :) She cracks me up and inspires me every time I see her.

    ReplyDelete